golf-forums.net
Promoting golf discussion.

Main
Date: 25 Apr 2007 17:10:39
From: WW
Subject: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
I was thinking of trying it for putting. What grip do most of you use?





 
Date: 28 Apr 2007 07:51:58
From: zumafan
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
On Apr 27, 3:17 pm, Rob Davis <davis....@verizon.net > wrote:

>
> I went to the reverse overlap putting based on the recommendation of RB
> in another thread, and have had good success with it

> Rob

Me too, started using it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Works great.



 
Date: 27 Apr 2007 18:23:36
From: \R&B\
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
"WW" <dirtymm@msn.com > wrote ...
>
> I was thinking of trying it for putting.
> What grip do most of you use?


The reverse overlap grip *is* the putting grip. 99.9 percent of all
professional and scratch golfers use it.

About the only people you ever find who use their normal grip while putting
are recreational players............. who can't putt.

Randy




  
Date: 27 Apr 2007 18:39:32
From: 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?

""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com > wrote in message
news:64SdnRuydtdI6q_bnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@giganews.com...
> "WW" <dirtymm@msn.com> wrote ...
>>
>> I was thinking of trying it for putting.
>> What grip do most of you use?
>
>
> The reverse overlap grip *is* the putting grip. 99.9 percent of all
> professional and scratch golfers use it.
>
> About the only people you ever find who use their normal grip while
> putting are recreational players............. who can't putt.
>
> Randy
Hmm....99.9% doubt it very much. Take a look at this web page for an
example of the reverse overlap grip:
http://www.easy2.com/tutorials/glf0111/index.asp




   
Date: 28 Apr 2007 04:01:48
From: Rob Davis
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina wrote:
> ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com> wrote in message
> news:64SdnRuydtdI6q_bnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@giganews.com...
>
>>"WW" <dirtymm@msn.com> wrote ...
>>
>>>I was thinking of trying it for putting.
>>>What grip do most of you use?
>>
>>
>>The reverse overlap grip *is* the putting grip. 99.9 percent of all
>>professional and scratch golfers use it.
>>
>>About the only people you ever find who use their normal grip while
>>putting are recreational players............. who can't putt.
>>
>>Randy
>
> Hmm....99.9% doubt it very much. Take a look at this web page for an
> example of the reverse overlap grip:
> http://www.easy2.com/tutorials/glf0111/index.asp
>

That's a pretty good overview ... anyone who's having trouble putting
could do worse than following that advice. The one thing they don't
mention that I consider important is that you have make sure you hit the
ball in the "sweet spot" of the putter (usually the center, and the aim
line, but not necessarily). It always surprises me how many people
aren't aware of this.

As far as 99.9%, that may be a little high, but the animated demo in
your reference page actually say it's used by "most advanced players and
pros".

Rob


    
Date: 28 Apr 2007 14:12:55
From: \R&B\
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
"Rob Davis" <davis.rob@verizon.net > wrote in message
news:MGzYh.844$zE.552@trnddc03...
> 3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina wrote:
>> ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusiness@all.com> wrote in message
>> news:64SdnRuydtdI6q_bnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@giganews.com...
>>
>>>"WW" <dirtymm@msn.com> wrote ...
>>>
>>>>I was thinking of trying it for putting.
>>>>What grip do most of you use?
>>>
>>>
>>>The reverse overlap grip *is* the putting grip. 99.9 percent of all
>>>professional and scratch golfers use it.
>>>
>>>About the only people you ever find who use their normal grip while
>>>putting are recreational players............. who can't putt.
>>>
>>>Randy
>>
>> Hmm....99.9% doubt it very much. Take a look at this web page for an
>> example of the reverse overlap grip:
>> http://www.easy2.com/tutorials/glf0111/index.asp
>
> That's a pretty good overview ... anyone who's having trouble putting
> could do worse than following that advice. The one thing they don't
> mention that I consider important is that you have make sure you hit the
> ball in the "sweet spot" of the putter (usually the center, and the aim
> line, but not necessarily). It always surprises me how many people aren't
> aware of this.
>
> As far as 99.9%, that may be a little high, but the animated demo in your
> reference page actually say it's used by "most advanced players and pros".


Y'know, I'm not a statistical analyst, so the number 99.9 is an expression,
not a statistic. But I'll tell ya, if the number is wrong, I'll bet it's
wrong because it's low, not high.

I know of no PGA TOUR professional who doesn't use some form of the reverse
overlap, except those who go with a completely non-conventional method, such
as left-hand low or the claw or a long putter.

Among those who hold the putter with their dominant hand low, virtually all
of them use the reverse overlap. I know of none who use the Vardon grip or
the interlocking grip (their "full swing grip") when putting. In the
history of professional golf, there have only been a handful of players who
have gone with an alternative grip besides the reverse overlap when putting.
Again, I'm talking here about those who don't go completely off the deep end
and use a non-conventional method, such as cross-handed, the claw, the long
putter, or the various contortionist grips used by Bernhard Langer.

The only people who grip the putter with their dominant hand low and DON'T
use the reverse overlap are, as I said before, recreational players...who
can't putt.

But there are variations to the reverse overlap that are worth noting, and
are a matter of personal preference. I prefer having my left index finger
pointing straight down, which is somewhat less common among professionals
than the way Jack, Tiger and most of them allow their left index finger to
rest in the crease between their right index and middle or right middle and
ring fingers. The method they use (with the left index finger bent, resting
in one of those creases of the other hand) allows for somewhat more freedom
of left wrist hinging in the stroke. Personally, I prefer the
left-index-finger-down method, which gives the left wrist somewhat more of a
dominant position, less likely to break down. I achieve the same "loose"
feel by simply gripping the putter lightly (especially with the right hand).

Randy




 
Date: 27 Apr 2007 11:11:59
From: Tom Reese
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
On Apr 25, 8:10 pm, WW <dirt...@msn.com > wrote:
> I was thinking of trying it for putting. What grip do most of you use?

I've been experimenting with a ten finger right hand below the left
(playing righthanded) grip. I have better feel with that than any of
the other putting grips I've tried. It's too early to tell whether the
improvement will be permanent or not.

Tom Reese



 
Date: 27 Apr 2007 10:29:32
From: KnighT
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
On Apr 25, 5:10 pm, WW <dirt...@msn.com > wrote:
> I was thinking of trying it for putting. What grip do most of you use?

Reverse overlap is good because it gives more control to the right
hand and right arm.

I like a cross handed grip myself: left hand low, right hand high(I am
a righty). This sets in a flat left wrist, and makes it pretty
difficult to bent it at all.



  
Date: 27 Apr 2007 18:27:05
From: \R&B\
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
"KnighT" <bryanjunk777@yahoo.com > wrote
>
> Reverse overlap is good because it gives more control to the right
> hand and right arm.



I'm assuming you're either left-handed or that this is a type-o.

The reverse overlap grip puts the left wrist in a position to resist
somewhat the overpowering of the right hand. As such, it is anything BUT
for giving more control to the right hand and right arm (in right-handers).

The reverse-overlap grip does not, however, place the right hand in *as*
passive a position as, say, the claw or the cross-handed grip, which is why
a growing number of players have gone to those less conventional styles,
since too much right hand is almost always at the root of most putting
problems.

Randy




  
Date: 27 Apr 2007 19:17:03
From: Rob Davis
Subject: Re: Reverse overlap grip for putting?
KnighT wrote:
> On Apr 25, 5:10 pm, WW <dirt...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of trying it for putting. What grip do most of you use?
>
>
> Reverse overlap is good because it gives more control to the right
> hand and right arm.
>
> I like a cross handed grip myself: left hand low, right hand high(I am
> a righty). This sets in a flat left wrist, and makes it pretty
> difficult to bent it at all.
>

I went to the reverse overlap putting based on the recommendation of RB
in another thread, and have had good success with it ... especially good
for keeping the putter square on short putts IMHO. His point was simply
that the majority of pros use this grip, so it's probably a good place
to start. Make sure you've got it right (plenty of Google references
with pictures) ... it's more than just hanging the left index finger
over the right hand fingers.

FWIW, I believe the major advantage is not that the right hand controls,
it's that it keeps the left wrist from "breaking". The feeling I get is
one of both hands working together ... YMMV.

Rob