golf-forums.net
Promoting golf discussion.

Main
Date: 25 Apr 2007 17:27:43
From: Bobby Knight
Subject: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html

bk




 
Date: 28 Apr 2007 09:41:24
From: Tighthead
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
On Apr 28, 8:54 am, Bow Tie <ken_pitt...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> I really don't have a problem with this. It plays the same for
> everyone. The big hitters like Tiger, Phil and VJ will try to make the
> green. Those with good short games will try a different way. One thing
> is for sure. Par will be a good score and birdies will be rare as
> hen's teeth.
>
> YMMV
>
> Ken
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> On Apr 25, 2:25 pm, "\"R&B\"" <noneofyourbusin...@all.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > "Bobby Knight" <bkni...@conramp.net> wrote ...
>
> > >http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>
> > Okay, I take back everything I've ever said about George Bush being wrong.
> > The terrorists HAVE followed us home and have taken over the USGA.
>
> > Randy- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

It sounds extreme, but it also depends on the design of the green and
hole. If the green is a decent size, with a bailout area, and room to
land it short, it is probably okay. From what I gather, this has
always been a long par three, so it should be reasonable.

Of course, the USGA has let me down before, and it hasn't really
bothered them.



 
Date: 28 Apr 2007 08:54:59
From: Bow Tie
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
I really don't have a problem with this. It plays the same for
everyone. The big hitters like Tiger, Phil and VJ will try to make the
green. Those with good short games will try a different way. One thing
is for sure. Par will be a good score and birdies will be rare as
hen's teeth.

YMMV

Ken

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On Apr 25, 2:25 pm, "\"R&B\"" <noneofyourbusin...@all.com > wrote:
> "Bobby Knight" <bkni...@conramp.net> wrote ...
>
>
>
> >http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>
> Okay, I take back everything I've ever said about George Bush being wrong.
> The terrorists HAVE followed us home and have taken over the USGA.
>
> Randy




 
Date: 27 Apr 2007 03:43:40
From: johnty
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
On 27 Apr, 05:21, "Otto" <ottondebREMOVE%$#%^%$@@bellsouth.net > wrote:

>
> Perhaps not but I bet they didn't want the winner to finish at 18 under.
>

I'd bet they would have been delighted.




  
Date: 27 Apr 2007 08:06:13
From: Otto
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.

"johnty" <johnty1@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1177670620.785648.190240@u32g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> On 27 Apr, 05:21, "Otto" <ottondebREMOVE%$#%^%$@@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >
> > Perhaps not but I bet they didn't want the winner to finish at 18 under.
> >
>
> I'd bet they would have been delighted.


Perhaps but I can't imagine delight.

The organization that is Augusta National was worried that their course had
been marginalized and outdated.

I think they were closer to worried or concerned than they were to
delighted.

Otto




 
Date: 27 Apr 2007 09:07:22
From: Ezran
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:27:43 GMT, Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net >
wrote:

>http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>
>bk

Aha they've taken it to the next level, instead of a driveable par 4,
its a driveable par 3!!!



 
Date: 26 Apr 2007 21:22:35
From: Chris Bellomy
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net > wrote:
> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html

Cool. I love holes that are Par n.5. I know a lot of people will
get rubbed the wrong way about all the bogeys it will force, but
as par is not a contestant, I don't have a problem with that as
long as the setup is fair.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member
http://clist.org/


  
Date: 26 Apr 2007 18:07:26
From: Otto
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.

"Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote in message
news:1T41tq2dI9k7N34@redshark.goodshow.net...
> Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net> wrote:
> > http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>
> Cool. I love holes that are Par n.5. I know a lot of people will
> get rubbed the wrong way about all the bogeys it will force, but
> as par is not a contestant, I don't have a problem with that as
> long as the setup is fair.


That's interesting.

Was Augusta fair?

I thought it was.

If ever there was a course management test--that was it.

I love watching the Big Dogs squirm.

Otto




   
Date: 27 Apr 2007 02:12:45
From: Chris Bellomy
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
Otto <ottondebREMOVE%$#%^%$@@bellsouth.net > wrote:
>
> "Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
> news:1T41tq2dI9k7N34@redshark.goodshow.net...
>> Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net> wrote:
>> > http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>>
>> Cool. I love holes that are Par n.5. I know a lot of people will
>> get rubbed the wrong way about all the bogeys it will force, but
>> as par is not a contestant, I don't have a problem with that as
>> long as the setup is fair.
>
> That's interesting.
>
> Was Augusta fair?

Maybe. But it didn't play anything like Mackenzie and Jones intended.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member
http://clist.org/


    
Date: 29 Apr 2007 13:59:19
From: jeffc
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.

"Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote in message
news:0T41ub3aIe8sN34@redshark.goodshow.net...
>>
>> Was Augusta fair?
>
> Maybe. But it didn't play anything like Mackenzie and Jones intended.

That's no longer possible, unfortunately.




     
Date: 30 Apr 2007 02:54:49
From: Chris Bellomy
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
jeffc <none@none.com > wrote:
>
> "Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
> news:0T41ub3aIe8sN34@redshark.goodshow.net...
>>>
>>> Was Augusta fair?
>>
>> Maybe. But it didn't play anything like Mackenzie and Jones intended.
>
> That's no longer possible, unfortunately.

I don't see why. Mow the grass and take out a bunch of trees and
it can be pretty damn close at the new length.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member
http://clist.org/


    
Date: 27 Apr 2007 00:21:44
From: Otto
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.

"Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote in message
news:0T41ub3aIe8sN34@redshark.goodshow.net...

> Maybe. But it didn't play anything like Mackenzie and Jones intended.


Perhaps not but I bet they didn't want the winner to finish at 18 under.

Otto




     
Date: 27 Apr 2007 05:06:19
From: Chris Bellomy
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
Otto <ottondebREMOVE%$#%^%$@@bellsouth.net > wrote:
>
> "Chris Bellomy" <puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid> wrote in message
> news:0T41ub3aIe8sN34@redshark.goodshow.net...
>
>> Maybe. But it didn't play anything like Mackenzie and Jones intended.
>
> Perhaps not but I bet they didn't want the winner to finish at 18 under.

Probably not, but I don't think they had a problem with 8 under,
which was pretty close to the average winning score for years.
Nobody has finished at 18 under in ten years and obviously the
course has changed a lot since then.

The Masters is, or was, a different animal than the U.S. Open.
The Masters was all about risk/reward and shot values. The Open
has always been about patience and perseverance. Making the former
just like the latter merely takes the variety out of major
championship golf.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member
http://clist.org/


 
Date: 26 Apr 2007 12:55:53
From: BigPurdueFan
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
As I'm sure the article says (but I'm not going to read it), Tiger hit
3-wood in his practice round the other day. He refused to hit driver on a
par 3!

"Bobby Knight" <bknight@conramp.net > wrote in message
news:cp3v23t7bghg41iljr6i9paaejb3l4amb7@4ax.com...
> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>
> bk




  
Date: 27 Apr 2007 12:23:17
From: Blagovist
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
BigPurdueFan wrote:
> As I'm sure the article says (but I'm not going to read it), Tiger hit
> 3-wood in his practice round the other day. He refused to hit driver on a
> par 3!
>
> "Bobby Knight" <bknight@conramp.net> wrote in message
> news:cp3v23t7bghg41iljr6i9paaejb3l4amb7@4ax.com...
>> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>>
>> bk

I don't blame him - I'd take a 3 wood for just 288 yards. My driver
would shoot the ball clean over the green before bouncing.

Blago


   
Date: 29 Apr 2007 13:59:58
From: jeffc
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.

"Blagovist" <blag@ovist.com > wrote in message
news:4631dd2d$1_2@x-privat.org...
> BigPurdueFan wrote:
>> As I'm sure the article says (but I'm not going to read it), Tiger hit
>> 3-wood in his practice round the other day. He refused to hit driver on
>> a par 3!
>>
>> "Bobby Knight" <bknight@conramp.net> wrote in message
>> news:cp3v23t7bghg41iljr6i9paaejb3l4amb7@4ax.com...
>>> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html
>>>
>>> bk
>
> I don't blame him - I'd take a 3 wood for just 288 yards. My driver would
> shoot the ball clean over the green before bouncing.

Yes, but the rest of the PGA are not as strong as RSGers.




 
Date: 25 Apr 2007 15:25:24
From: \R&B\
Subject: Re: 288 yard par three for U.S. Open.
"Bobby Knight" <bknight@conramp.net > wrote ...
>
> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_503927.html


Okay, I take back everything I've ever said about George Bush being wrong.
The terrorists HAVE followed us home and have taken over the USGA.

Randy